Monday, July 23, 2012

Breaking the Fast






June 23, 2012

Day 3 of Ramadan has begun and I’ve had the most physical activity I’ve had in 3 days. I biked to the office to check in on the internet. I can say that fasting while sitting around and not doing much of anything besides carrying water, reading books, writing letters, and studying Mandinka is difficult but not impossible. We shall see how I am feeling around 7pm tonight, after this activity. I wrote before of what the morning meal is like, the rest of the day after around 2pm slows down considerably. After the work in the fields, everyone heads home to lie around or sleep. Baboo heads back to the fields around 5, which I think is incredible slash insane that he has that much strength. Around 5 the mom’s begin to cook the breaking fast meal. Any meal here takes about 2 hours to cook because it is on a wood fire, there is lots of preparation and effort that goes into pounding the sauce spices, the sauce is cooked separately from the rice or millet. So yes, 2 hours of cooking for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, 6 hours a day of cooking is quite a lot of time. The breaking fast meal is really enjoyable. Those who are fasting sit outside on a mat and watch the sun set waiting for the call of the mosque to symbolize the end of that days fasting. The fast is broken with hot tea with milk and sugar and locally baked bread called talapa. Next course is an oil sauce with anything from chicken eggs to onions and pasta, the bread is used to dip into the bowl and absorb the oil. Finally, there is the ‘dinner’ which is the normal rice or coos with sauce. Last night we had…..drum roll….. chicken! The second time in 2 months that we had meat in the bowl, the first being the day I came. I usually contribute something to the meal, the first night I gave juice and ‘minty’s’ because that’s considered traditional. Last night, I made popcorn which they loved. The kids have an especially great time and look forward to Ramadan because they aren’t fasting and they get to eat all the benefits of fasting at the end of the day.

I will say that there is a power of reflection in fasting; it does something not only for the body but for the mind. I’m not exactly sure what that is because its only day 3 but I’ll let you know when I figure it out. Also, it is less difficult to fast intentionally than it is to not eat because the food is not available. Man, this whole experience is incredible. 



No comments:

Post a Comment