Monday, July 30, 2012

20 moons


Day 10 of Ramadan, and still going strong. I took day 9 off and ate lunch, I needed a day to re-group. It's much easier when its cloudy, rather than sunny. So usually I write blogs during the week as things come up that I've like to share, but this week I've been busy with field work and responding to many letters that I didn't get the chance. But there are many great letters going out in the next mail run. Here are a few of the highlights,


Last night after breaking fast, I was sitting around with the family chatting and they were talking about other volunteers who had lived in the area...they mentioned their names as Senabou, Aunti, Rohey... I found it very similar to how celebrities are discussed by first name...Beyonce, Rihanna. That being said, my name is Isatou Fatty, yes Fatty, and everyone greets here using the last name, it symbolizes a recognition to all your family members and honoring them. Yes, I walk around village and have everyone call me Fatty. Just taking it in stride, most days I don't even notice because I'm in the world of Mandinka, where fatty doesn't mean fat, not in the world of English. Who else can say they were called Fatty for 2 years and were ok with it. haha oh africa. The conversation moved to my service and how I will be here for 2 years. They were saying that they want me to stay for 4, a thing they say every time I say 2, its part of the culture. They asked how many months I had left, and I responded with 20-21 months. As the months are based on the lunar schedule, and they are particularly focused on the moon because of Ramadan, they said 'that's only 20 moons.' This makes me so happy and sad at the same time. Sure I have moments were I just need to get out of village, as everything becomes overwhelming and tiring. And many many moments where I daydream about life in America and returning home to spend time with my friends and family. But when its said as 20 moons, it somehow doesn't seem that long before its time to move on to the next adventure. Right now, I am just trying to appreciate that I am here, and be here completely without my mind being too far away. 




Mom and Baby. She's coming home to america with me, sorry i'm not sorry.

Field work in The Gambia, hardest work I've ever done

Typical Ba, everyone carries everything on their heads, except for babies...which are on their backs. 

Thank you Aunt Pam for the coloring pencils, the kids and I love them !  They helped to put these drawing into an envelope to send to some lucky people in America. They are very excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment