Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Gambian Bambino

 Kora- a traditional music instrument. This was our naming ceremony. My Gambian name is Isatou Fatty. Yes, make your jokes :) But the instrument is beautiful and the musicians always having these incredible chanting voices.
 This is a typical meal, rice ( the Gambians believe no meal is a meal without rice), Darrango sauce which is one of my favorite, its a peanut sauce. This meal had beef in it.
Awa, one of my younger sisters. She has these huge beautiful eyes and had a way of talking where her tongue would stick out of her mouth. Too adorable. 
 Young man giving me some attitude.
Awa and Friends, playing with a knife. Typical toy, its very blunt but still its children playing with a knife. 
Left to Right: Teeda, Fatou, Omar, Fatou, Me (Isatou), Isatou, and Omar. Some of the kids in my family. Notice that names are repeated very very often.

No comments:

Post a Comment