Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Site Visit...Check

The sight that I woke up to on the first morning.


Site visit complete, Tenengfara is a 30 compound village with approximately 200 people. My father’s name is, Babo Fatty, mothers are Yamati Camera and Bandi. Yamati has 3 children, Aramata (5), Baba (2.5), and Isatou (2 months). There are a few older boys living in the compound but I haven’t yet figured out how they are related to the family. My dad makes bamboo furniture; I’ve got the HOOK UPS! Check out my Bamboo recliner chair, hello relaxation! The Alkalo (village leader) is very nice, his name is Mama Konteh, he checked on me each morning to make sure that I had had a peaceful night. There isn’t much agriculture happening currently but the women are very interested in a village garden and the men are very intrigued with the idea of beekeeping in a nearby forest. I will be learning greetings in all the languages because Serehule, Mandinka, Pulaar, and Wolof are spoken in my village. Oh, and its hot. Hotter than you have ever imaged. Like living in a sauna, the air you breath is hot, the wind is hot, the sun is death. Food= rice. Although my family did butcher a chicken as a welcome meal, I was so honored! 

Donkey's playing in the dirt

Donkey's!!!

Fula Girl, everyone loves my camera and wants their photo taken

Gosh, this boy kills me and his mother is so nice she keeps checking in on me! 
My little brother, Baba. He really likes juice and Mangoes. 
 I have tried several times to compose a literary image for everyone back home of my village but because it is a completely different world and I haven’t yet figured out the similarities I will share a story. I had brought an apple from breakfast the day I first went to site visit. I cut it up and began sharing it with my family. They asked me what it was. It hit me that they had never had or even see an apple. I told them to eat it, they loved it and Yamati who only takes one of anything I share took a second piece. There are so many things about me that are foreign to them; an apple is only the beginning of our differences. I feel humbled by the depths of their hearts to open, not only their home, but their hearts to me. My younger siblings will think of me as their older sister. I am so lucky to be part of their family.


yes! thats right, asked for a special chair and got it the next day! 

Thank you to everyone who has sent me mail. I truly appreciate everything, all the food, the letters, the magazines, the AMAZING neck cooler! Ahhh its amazing. Very excited to begin in Tenengfara. Friday is Swear in day, official day I become a Peace Corps Volunteer. 


1 comment:

  1. From Greg Spencer, Sarah looks like you made it.I missed all the fun , mostly your last post about getting sick. The donkeys look great. Apples ,we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete