Monday, August 27, 2012

Hangry, Lion King, and Malaria





Ramadan has ended, all 30 days of it were a roller coaster of emotions, frustrations, and discoveries. I drank water the whole time but fasted 24 days out of 30. I learned some and appreciated food at the end of the day much more. Now that its over and we are back to the rice bowls, I miss the break fast meals very much. I also have never been that excited to see a moon before, as the fasting ends with the sight of the moon on the 30th or 29th day. The two days following the sighting of the moon are days of great celebration, called Korite, where we eat and drink all day long. Boys and girls receive presents from their parents such as shoes or new clothing. Women braid their hair in special ways and henna their feet. Men put on their best kaftans and head to the mosques for a special day of prayer. Everyone walks around village in their best clothes and shoes, greeting neighbors and celebrating the end to Ramadan. All in all, it was here only, and now that its over, I'm glad there won't be another Ramadan till next year. (People, including myself, get a little (h)angry, but hey who doesn't when they are hungry.)

Gambia has gone green. Its like the place exploded. That scene in the 'Lion King' where the rains come and turn the land from depressing dryness and death to a place of happiness where all the lions are roaring and prancing around in playfulness. Well, that's pretty accurate as to what has happened. Rains have come, heavily, the fields are growing tall and the paths are being encroached by weeds. Animals that once roamed around wild in search of any food they could find are now being staked and left to eat the weeds that they can reach. The people have become much more active, going out into the fields to weed or playing with their children more. Bugs...are more frequent. Also, infections are highly likely as there are pools of water sitting around everywhere. I wash my feet with anti-bacterial soap every chance I get. Mosquitoes have taken up residence in the pools of water and after twilight its like a battle field, human v. mosquitoes. 

Which brings me to the topic of Malaria. We, PCVs, have malaria prophylaxis that we are given by the US government, although there is some contention behind the different drugs. If you care to know about this argument, send me a message. We also have on hand anti-malaria drugs and malaria rapid test that if taken during the onset of symptoms can greatly reduce the disease. We have mosquito nets and I sleep under mine nightly, tucked in tight to prevent both malaria and those stupid cockroaches living in my backyard from joining me in my bed. We also have DEET bug spray and although I use 100% DEET concentration I still get bitten. These little suckers don't mess around. The malaria mosquitoes come out during dusk and hang around till dawn, so I've taken to going into my room earlier in the evening. Part of a PCV work is to bring attention to the methods of prevention, such as bed nets which are given to each mother when she brings her child to the clinic for their check-ups. Progress takes awhile, however, and bed-nets are commonly used as screens over garden nurseries to protect against bugs or sold. 

Update on my neighbor, the boy who wasn't doing well, was after a spike in his fever, taken by horse cart at 4am to the nearest health center, 6K away and I've been told that he is coming home today. His father has been walking the 12k round trip every morning and evening to see his son and wife. 




These are my cucumber plants in my backyard. They are doing extremely well and have grown over the fence in such a short amount of time. Compared to the cucumbers we had at Brown Farm, these are incredible. I didn't know if I could grow vegetables in Africa, but you can! 


No comments:

Post a Comment